Friday, December 9, 2011

Notes for final Salon

No t e s :

I don't know how to make a table in blogger, and while I'm sure I could learn from someone, I don't see an option for it here. Therefore I'm officially plagiarizing Dr. Burton's table design.

:)

Hopefully this is a good method for arranging the notes.

Here's what I think is the most telling source for each section:

(Under self-directed learning, I'm mostly going to just relate it to posts I've made about what I learned. Anything with a link is to a post we've done, mainly for my own benefit later when discussing them, but feel free to explore the connections).

Unit 1: Folk Knowledge

Unit 2: Oral Knowledge

Unit 3:
Written Knowledge

Unit 4:
Print Knowledge

Self-directed learning

Dragons, Light

President Packer's Talk

Proto-Sinaitic

Typography

Others' blogging

Andrew's:Rites of Passage

Marc's: Concrete - Scott's: Universitas

Scott's: Confucious

Alicia's:Changes printing caused

Collaborative learning

Learning Japanese from Andrew(1)* Classroom discussions, first exam

Learning Japanese from Andrew(2)*

Posts on the Book of Mormon(1)(2)

In-class peer review of our final paper^

Projects / Activities

Teaching (Photography)

King Benjamin Speech

Rosetta stone

(My group's posts: Jenna's, Mine, Brenda's, Tanner's)

Royal Skousen
&
KJV Exhibit

* I contend that this relates to both sections.

^ I really learned a lot from reading Alyssa's paper, and she helped me refine my own to a much better degree with her comments. I feel like this was more of a joint learning activity than strictly an exercise in editing.


The self-directed learning posts that I made are those that I feel I learned the most from, and that gave me a larger perspective on that section of the curriculum. Basically, my choices in each section worked that way: I picked the things that I remembered expanding my view and my knowledge the most.

So the question I have to ask now is, How do these all relate?

The most interesting thing that I found was how we were using different types of knowledge to learn about different types of knowledge, and how, by learning about them, it is easier to see large scale historical patterns in how things have changed over time.

Here's some interesting ideas I had about what I might discuss on Tuesday:

*By learning the pros and cons of each type of knowledge and knowledge institution, we are able to more fully recognize possible causes and effects with relation to the state of society.

*All societies have had similar developmental patterns over time with relation to these knowledge types, and those that got them first integrated them more slowly than those which followed. Printing in England, Internet in Asia, TV in USSR.

*Each new form of knowledge at first tries almost exclusively to imitate the one before it.

An y w a y, those are my thoughts so far on possible patterns in our study. I'd love any input you guys have!

No comments:

Post a Comment