Friday, December 2, 2011

Unit Paper Part 1: Brainstorming

I have to say, I'm pretty surprised that I am writing a paper about children's reading (and still trying to figure out exactly what that will mean), but I think it is potentially a very fun topic.

I decided I'll go ahead and document my writing process on the blog, so the following are all the ideas - good or bad - that come to mind.

  • How the way children learn to read might have changed over time and with the advent of printed books (thank you, Jared, for this idea.)

  • Along the lines of learning outcome number 3, I could explore how picture books communicate knowledge. Maybe argue that the format of a picture book makes it a completely different medium for communicating information than other types of printed media.

  • Or address learning outcome number 1 and talk about the history of children's books. When did they start being printed and did they exist before printing? Not sure what argument could be made here; I'd have to do some research. But perhaps the invention of printing made possible the production of books for children?

  • When did children start becoming literate? At what age did children begin learning to read at different times and places in history? Maybe the answers to these questions could lead to an argument about how printing affected children's literacy.

  • Types of children's books. Compilations of stories, illustrated Bibles, picture books, chapter books - how each type serves a different purpose. Make an argument about how historical conditions created the need for (or at least a place for)each type of children's literature.

Those are the ideas I have for now! I'd love to get feedback on which topic sounds to you like it could make for solid paper. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I think you're second topic-the picture's communicating knowledge differently-sounds like it could actually be argued pretty well. Plus it goes along great with the class outcomes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting your ideas Alicia. I am trying to come up with ideas for my thesis and your post generated some good ideas for me. I too like the idea of how pictures change the medium for communicating knowledge. Many people tend to learn better through pictures, so this is a huge breakthrough in knowledge communication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are off to a great start Alicia, your topic has lots of potential to yield arguments and claims that are relevant to the 3 learning outcomes. but especially number 3 for the visual learning part.

    ReplyDelete