Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Brainstorming my paper - an Odyssey

I decided to basically post my thought process as I'm brainstorming for my paper that's due (By the time you read this) today. I'm going to go through how I come up with ideas, and hopefully it'll stay coherent and not turn into a stream-of-consciousness kind of thing (though that might be fun to write sometime).

So, as you might remember, though if you don't I absolutely do not blame you, cause I personally don't remember half of y'all's topics, my topic is typography, which I defined in this post in case you want a short refresher course :)

Anyway: my contention for my paper will be that typography, at least the types that are used in professional endeavors, have gradually become more functional and less decorative. I think this is a pretty universal change.

In fact, "The Book," which I also mentioned in my bibliography post, contends that this change began long ago: With (funnily enough) the Egyptians! Turns out this actually connects to my culture assignment from earlier in the semester.

Anyway, I looked at the Better Thesis Statements website, and it told me (Well... not in audible words. I learned from it, I mean) that my thesis is a "definition claim", which means that I'm just trying to prove the reality of something. In my case, the change. So, to support it, I just need to show evidence of the change, not argue that it was good or bad.
So, I guess that's about all I have in the way of brainstorming right now! Thanks for bearing with me through this post, and please comment with any suggestions you have for format, etc.

PS: There's a double meaning in the word types that is starting to confuse me as I work on this paper
Just as a rambling linguistic side note, I believe that we say there are different "types" of things because there were originally different "types" in printing. Cool, huh?

2 comments:

  1. I think that would be a great topic for your paper. Didn't our guest speaker talk about that as well? It sounded like a very interesting topic. And trying to prove the change sounds good to. Do you know what your "Although..." part of your thesis is going to be? Maybe something along the lines of "Although most original typeface was beautiful and was in a format that was familiar and recognizable to readers..." Then you could describe the benefits of it before transitioning to the shift from beauty to function. Sorry, this probably isn't much help since we had the peer review already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha no worries. Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete