Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Hobo Symbols


As I was reading Sam's recent post on the Proto-Sinaitic language, I was reminded of a group of people that used symbols in the modern day that meant specific words to inform others of what lay ahead. Who am I talking about? The hobos of the Great Depression! I remember reading about the hobo symbols in my American history class a few years back and thought it was hugely interesting. So, my comment is now turned into a short post. 
The hobos used symbols such as the ones below to help them know where they could find help and food during their hard times. Not only this, but they could also communicate things such as dangerous drinking water or that a town was not good for strangers because there had been a crime. A better list of symbols can be found here. Click it, it's fun! I just always thought it would be funny for someone to walk outside of their house and find a sign that meant they were ill-tempered or a sucker.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post, Jenna. I just finished reading John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath, and even though the main characters, the Joads, aren't hobos, a lot of migrants crossed the country during that time period (the Great Depression) to look for work, and many of them were hobos! I think of all these symbols, 'religious people' makes the most sense because it looks a lot like a cross. However, I think the most interesting symbol is 'someone home' and 'no one home' because it reminds me of the guys from Phineas and Ferb, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I'd never heard of this before! It makes so much sense though. For some reason it reminds me of the underground railroad and the signals they had along the way for the escaping slaves to know where they could find safety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hobo signs ha ha :) this inspired me to put some up in my hallway. We'll see if anyone figures it out ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so crazy, I had no idea there was a secret hobo code in the great depression. It is cool to see other hobos collaborating to help one another out. It reminded me of the standard signal that car drivers have of flashing their lights to warn other drivers of a cop up ahead measuring the speed of cars. It is just a friendly subtle way to communicate and warn other people you don't know but share a fear of tickets or, in a hobo's case, the need for clean water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If anyone wants to see today's real hobos , go to YouTube and type in these names

    Hobo shoestring
    Stobe the hobo ( RIP)
    The Texas roadrunner / hobo roadrunner ( me )
    Hobo mud
    Solo drifter

    I try to keep as much tradition as possible from the old days

    ReplyDelete